Thursday, April 1, 2010

Don't Go Fishing for Compliments!

Conversation I had earlier this evening with a friend who lives a couple of hours from me (via Yahoo messenger):

Friend: I found my perfect wedding dress!

Me: That's great! I'm so happy for you!

Friend: Did you see the pics I posted of all the dresses I tried on at the Bridal Expo?

Me: Yes.

Friend: Well, what did you think?!

Me: You looked very excited!

Friend: No, no, I mean what did you think about the pics?! You didn't leave me any photo comments!

[Let it be known that this friend posted photos of herself trying on no fewer than 25 different dresses, all of which I thought to be quite hideous. So, I had chosen to post no comments, as I had nothing nice to say about any of them.]

Me: Well, I didn't really have anything to say worth leaving a comment for.

Friend: Can you guess which on I picked?!

Me: I have no idea. They were all so different from one another.

Friend: Ok, well, which one do you think was the best?

Me: Well, if I had to choose one....

Friend (before I could finish): I know it's hard to pick one when they're all so awesome!

Me: Well, I guess I'd have to pick the one in photo #8.

Friend: Oh, that's the one you like too?!?!

(Thinking to myself: It's the least atrocious of them all.)

Friend: That's the one I BOUGHT!! Don't you think it's the most beautiful thing ever?!?!

Me: Well.....it's unique. And you looked very happy in it.

Friend: But....Don't you LIKE it? You like it, right?

Me: Well, not really.

Friend: OMG! Why would you SAY that?!?!?!

Me: Um, because you ASKED!

Friend: OMG!

Conversation ended here, and she logged off a few minutes later.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you post photos or comments or status messages, and I don't comment on them, just leave it alone! Maybe I didn't see it. Maybe I saw it, and didn't really have anything to say. Or maybe, just maybe, I think you've posted something horridly ugly, and I don't want to hurt your feelings by telling you the truth! Be careful when fishing for compliments: Sometimes, all you catch is garbage!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!