Tuesday, August 30, 2011

[Guest Blogger] Living the "Golden Rule"

Some of the people who read my blog with any regularity may be slightly surprised to find me posting a guest blog containing Biblical scripture.  However, while I do not affiliate myself with any Christian faith, I am not wholly against many of the principles set forth by New Testament texts.  I find no fault with a faith based upon love and respect for all of mankind, and this is the type of life many of my Christian friends try to live.

When I invite a friend to guest-post on my blog, it is often because that friend has something to say that speaks from a viewpoint other than my own.  Amanda, the author of the post below, has been my friend since we met here in Pensacola in 2001.  At the time, we were both military wives living in the same apartment complex.  Though our life paths have taken us in different directions, both spiritually and geographically, I am glad to still call her my friend.  Read more about Amanda here (open in new window).

========================================================================= 

Matthew 5:38-48
New International Version (NIV)


“You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.




 “You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you,
love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

That's why I am friends with some that others fear or shun, and love some as well. What a place we would live in if people actually lived by Christ's words! Turning the other cheek changes people. When someone you attack doesn't attack back, but reacts with patience and kindness, it changes you. It's a slap in the face in a totally different way. It opens the eyes. It plants a seed in the mind, opening it to see things from a new perspective. You gain a respect you will never get by attacking a person with your words of preaching. Serving others is what changes them from the inside out, without them ever realizing it.
~Amanda S.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!