Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Special Christmas Gift from My Daddy

Well, today is Christmas!  I barely slept last night because I was so excited to see whether or not Kaleb would have fun with all his new Christmas gifts!  He has, of course, had lots of fun this morning.  He got his very own child-sized recliner with a footstool and an end table and an LED lamp that he can turn on and off all by himself.  He's gotten new toys and books and clothes, too, and played all morning up until nap time.

I got some pretty nice things too!  I had already gotten my new love seat from my dad a few weeks ago, and we had created a footstool to go with it by shortening and upholstering an old coffee table I had in storage.  Dad also came home a few days ago with a new rug for my living room, since the old one no longer matched (the new love seat is a different color than the old one).  Also, Dad had paid for us to have Kaleb's portraits made a couple of days ago, also as part of my Christmas.  I expected I might receive a couple of other smaller gifts, and I did.  One gift in particular, though, has already brought tears to my eyes a few times today, and I feel it deserves a blog post!



It wasn't a wrapped gift under the tree.  It was, rather, sticking out the top of my Christmas stocking this morning.  Dad had told me yesterday that he had found something really special for the top of my stocking, but that it wasn't a stuffed animal as is more customary in my family.  But he gave me no real other clues as to what it might be.  With innumerable possibilities, I decided not to even try to guess.  It seemed it would be better just to look forward with curious anticipation.

And, so, when it came time to open stockings this morning, I saw it... her... them.  It's a statue, simple and faceless, of a mother holding her toddler child.  It's beautiful.  It's perfect.  The accompanying tag/card had the following message:

Dad explained that he knows I tell people that Kaleb is the child my heart wanted, the little boy my heart had always wanted.  So he thought this would be especially appropriate for me.

He was right.  Of course, I don't know the price of this gift.  It's not important.  Of all the gifts I have received, this is the gift that has gone straight into the depths of my heart and brought tears to my eyes.






Merry Christmas to you all.... especially those of you who are parents.

And to my Daddy: Thank you.  I love you.


1 comment:

  1. That brought tears to my eyes.the statue is so you .I'm glad you shared it with us....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!