Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas

As much as I enjoy the festive season of holidays that begins at Thanksgiving and continues until the New Year's party hangovers have worn off, I'm always brought down just a little bit by the people who constantly bicker and whine about the "reason for the season."

I'd guess that nearly all of my friends (on Facebook and in real life) would identify themselves as believing in the Biblical God.  Being in the South, people identifying themselves as "Christian" are definitely in the majority, and that's not a problem for me.  I grew up in church, and many of my friends still actively live the Christian lifestyle.

My problem is this: around here (and probably in other places too) there are people who actually get offended if you wish them a "Happy Holidays" rather than a "Merry CHRISTmas."  Now, I understand that Jesus may be your reason for the season, and I respect that, but I also respect the fact that Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated in the late-December/early-January window.  There are also Santa Lucia Day (Sweden), Las Posadas (Mexico), Hanukkah (Jewish), Boxing Day (Canada), Kwanzaa, Yule, Emancipation Day, Feast of St. Basil, New Year's, Guru Gobind Singh's Birthday (Sikh), Epiphany, Three Kings' Day, and Lohri (Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh).....and probably many more I've never even heard of!  So, if I tell you "Happy Holidays," I'm not trying to downplay the importance of your God and/or your religion in your life; rather, I'm making an ethnically- and religiously-neutral statement of good will, and trying to express that I hope you enjoy whatever holiday(s) you choose to celebrate this time of year.



Historically, there have been holiday festivities around the time of the Winter Solstice since long before Christianity was a widespread religion.....even since before Jesus was born!

Add to this the fact that, by the modern calendar system we now use, Jesus was most likely actually born in September/October (more info) in the year 3 or 4 B.C. (more info).  The celebration of Jesus' birth was intentionally moved by early Christian missionaries and monks to coincide with the Yule celebrations observed by the ancient peoples of Europe.  Those early missionaries knew they stood a much better chance of making converts of the native people by not trying to eliminate centuries-old traditions, so they instead re-purposed the old holidays and gave them a new religious makeover.  Originally Yule was known as a festival of light.....which sounds very similar to the candles which are so numerous at Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa celebrations.

Now, I've been living in the South my whole life.  At least since high school, I've taken notice of the people who are hyper-sensitive enough to be offended by well-wished not phrased as "Merry Christmases."  So, why has it become necessary to write this blog now?  I'll tell you why.  I read a statement online about a week ago that said this: "No real Christian would ever say 'Happy Holidays.'  Real Christians remember the reason for the season!"  That stuck with me, and has been nagging in the back of my mind for an entire week now.  I've tried to think of my Christian friends, and remember if I've ever specifically noticed any of them saying "Happy Holidays."  Of course, my friends tend to be too level-headed to be the type to get offended over NOT being told to have a Merry Christmas; my friends, as far as I know, are all sane enough to accept the intent behind a "Happy Holidays" and be thankful for the kind words.

And then, on Thursday morning, the nagging problem in my head resolved itself.

Every weekday morning on my drive to take Kaleb to daycare, an when I go to pick him up in and then again when I go to pick him up in the afternoons, I drive right past my grandparent's church.  It was at this church that my mother was a member of a United Methodist Youth Fellowship group.  It was at this church that my parents were married in 1979.  My parents, grandparents, and other family have been members at this church.  I was baptized in that church when I was a baby.  The church has been a part of it's local community for many many years.  It is full of people who have attended church faithfully, some for 20 or 30 or 40 or more years!  I think it's safe to say that, among the congregation, there are plenty of good real Christians.

So what was it about this church that satisfied me on the "Real Christian's Merry Christmas" vs. the "Heathen Sinner's Happy Holidays"???  It was the simple phrase on their changeable sign.  I drove back there today, and took a picture.


Problem solved.  And so, if the church is ok with it, then other Christians should be as well.

Well, my friends, I'd like to now wish you ALL.....
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!


2 comments:

  1. you're a Church and you JUST left Christ out of Christmas....Shameful!!!! For God does not change....he is the same yesterday, today and FOREVER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I published the above comment, but want to state emphatically that this blog is NOT in any way written by a church, nor is this blog's author affiliated with ANY church or any sect or form of Christianity.

    NEXT, I would like to point out that while Christmas is definitely named for Jesus, it does not mean that Christians and their churches have a monopoly on winter holidays. Perhaps this church recognized what many do not: that there ARE other holidays in December, and that it is OK to wish people happy celebrations of these other holidays! Hanukkah happens in December, and so do Kwanzaa and Yule. For some people, the first day of winter (Dec. 20 or 21) is a holiday. New Year's Eve finishes out the year and New Year's Day rides December's coattails, and those are both days that many celebrate as holidays. December also contains Rosa Parks Day, World Aids Day, Special Education Day, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, Nobel Prize Day, UNICEF's birthday, Bill of Rights Day, Pledge of Allegiance Day, & Universal Hour of Peace Day. With all of the holidays and other important days that happen from Thanksgiving until the end of the calendar year, I think Happy Holidays is a far more acceptable and more inclusive greeting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!