Saturday, October 6, 2012

Why I'll be Voting for the Guy Who "Lost" the First Debate

People who know me know that I'm a committed liberal in nearly every way.  I dutifully tuned in to the first of the Presidential debates, which took place this past Wednesday.

I didn't expect that either candidate would say anything embarrassing or outright stupid.  I was right.  I didn't expect either candidate to say anything explosively wonderful.  Again, I was right.  In fact, while I didn't hear everything I expected to hear, I also didn't hear anything unexpected either.

I had already made up my mind to cast my vote for Obama in November 2012 just as I did in November of 2008.  That hasn't changed, and is unlikely to change.

Leading up to the 2008 election, I was heavily pregnant and excited at the prospect of bringing my baby into an Obama-led United States.  I cast my vote proudly at my local precinct, with one hand on my swollen stomach the way I imagined some good church ladies might lay their hands on their Bibles as they cast their votes for their chosen candidate.  That night, I stayed up later than usual to watch the election results roll in to the news networks, and I had tears in my eyes as I watched Obama officially acknowledge his victory.  I breathed a sigh of relief and watched as the monstrous Sarah Palin faded from all but the most radically conservative news headlines.

Less than 2 weeks after my son was born, Obama was inaugurated, and I watched the event live on CNN while Kaleb peacefully slept in my arms.  Again, I had tears in my eyes, though by this time I had decided that it was because pregnancy had forever ruined my hormones, leaving me vulnerable to crying over nearly anything at nearly any time.


In the almost 4 years that have passed since Obama's election, my life has improved dramatically.  This is not to say that it is a direct result of Obama's Presidency, but my life is definitely better.  I have a better job, a stable place to live, and an altogether healthier group of people in my life.  I have 4 more years of life experience under my belt, 4 more years of the "American" experience.

I can say, without reservation, that I am secure and confident in my choice to vote for Obama's reelection exactly one month from today.  In fact, in exactly one month, at this time of night on a Tuesday, I'll be watching CNN again eagerly awaiting the election results.

Yes, I'll concede that Obama appears to have "lost" the debate, by debate standards.  But I'm not voting for a debater.  I'm electing a President.

Has Obama made good on everything he promised while running for election the first time?  No.
Do I think it would have even been possible for him to do so?  No.
Did I think it was possible when I cast my vote in 2008?  No.
But will I be voting for him again?  Absolutely, yes.

I know that Obama, and every Presidential candidate I've ever heard of, has promised more than he can deliver.  And in some ways, that's what I like about them!  It's a refreshing thing to see such open optimism in a world that is too often filled with negativity and pessimism.  I find that I am not at all disappointed by the things Obama did not or could not accomplish—in fact, he did accomplish a good number of things that were important to me.

What matters far more to me is that Obama shares many of my visions for what America should be and in what direction the nation should move.  On most major and minor issues, I agree with his plans for our country's future.  On issues of the economy, health care, foreign policy, education, and social policy, Obama and I are pretty in-step.  I cannot say the same of his opponent.....in any regard.

Of course, I don't think Obama will have a vastly different second term.  And that's ok with me.  He may not make as much progress as he promises, and that's ok too.  I know that I can trust that the steps he does take will be in the direction I want to go, and for that he has earned my support and my vote.

And this November, as in 2008, Kaleb will be with me when I go to the polls.  But this time, he'll be carrying his own weight!

Update 10/7/12:  After publishing this post to the site, a friend sent me a pic.  While I don't normally post pics like this one here on the blog, I found it to be particularly funny, so I'm breaking my personal rule this time.  It's one of the perks of authoring my own blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!