Saturday, August 14, 2010

Broken Pedestals

In May of 2001 when I graduated high school, I had been taught by roughly 42 different teachers -- From preschool through high school.  Each and every one of them had the same responsibility to me as to all their other students: to pass along facts and information; to expose us to lots of cultures and world views; and to teach us to think for ourselves, form our own opinions, express ourselves effectively, and stand up for our beliefs.

Well, let me just say now that most of my teachers did a great job at this, however resistant I was to all the lessons they tried to teach me.  As I've grown up, I've found practical applications for more of the things I learned in school than I ever thought I would.  I have even found myself using a pretty good amount of ALGEBRA, of all things, in various life situations.  Really, who would have ever thought that Algebra would be useful?  But, indeed, it is!  Other useful things I've learned have included basic anatomy, history, geography, and English (vocabulary and grammar).

Yet, though my teachers and I spent lots and lots of time together in classes over the years, it is only now that I'm adult that I have begun to realize how little we really know about our teachers when we are kids.  Sure, we get to know about their favorite colors or foods.  We occasionally hear about their spouses or children or pets.  I even remember some smaller details, like the fact that Mr. Woodifn was retired from the military and the U.S. Postal Service, that Mr. Akers liked Creedence Clearwater Revival, that Mrs. Reynolds didn't drink alcohol, and Mrs. Bell had three Bassett Hounds.


As an adult I have run into, and reconnected with, several of my former teachers online (specifically on Facebook), and through one or two scattered events at Tate High School Drama events.  The things I see posted by these former teachers online have shown me so much more about them than I ever knew as their student.  I have learned that most of my teachers are, as I always thought them to be, good people who try their best to live good lives.  They love their families, they work to better the world around them, and they are passionate about their jobs (since they sure don't do it for the money).  These people, who I thought to be mere annoyances as a kid, are actually people worthy of respect and admiration.

The issues I'm having, however, is that I've learned things about some of these teachers that I wish I didn't know at all.  I've learned that among my former teachers there are the following:
  • A man who very publicly cheated on his wife and then divorced her, posting every harsh detail of their very nasty divorce online for all the world too see.
  • A man who appears to be completely intolerant to any views different from his own, resorts to name-calling when faced with opinions in opposition to his own, and spends more time partying and drinking in his late 30s than anyone else I've ever known at any age.
  • A woman who thinks that it's perfectly acceptable to use racial slurs so long as she's only talking about whole groups of people and not individuals.
Granted, three teachers out of forty-two may not seem like a lot, but that's roughly 7% of all my former teachers who, it turns out, aren't so easy to look up to anymore.  I know, perhaps, I am holding these people up to a higher standard than I might if they weren't my former teachers.....but didn't they think of that before getting into the teaching profession?  Both of my parents are teachers and, while I doubt their students know all the details of their lives, I don't think either of them would be embarrassed to meet their former students again after those kids have grown up and become adults themselves.  I don't really think it so wrong for me to be disappointed to find out that some of these people who have taught me in the past have these qualities that most might consider to be offensive or unacceptable.

And so, all of that leads me to the current "hot button" topic that started tonights frustration.

In the news lately, there has been much press given to the proposal to build an Islamic center and mosque near Ground Zero in New York City.  [Read Full CNN Article Here]  There are many people with many opinions on this topic, and we'll get to my opinions shortly.  Apparently, today's related news story centers around the fact that President Obama is, reportedly, in support of the plans for the proposed building project.

Tonight, one of my former teachers (ironically, my high school government teacher) posted a comment voicing his disapproval of Obama's support for the project, and his comment included how he planned to spend the rest of his teaching career telling students what a failed Presidency Obama has had.  I, since he had posted on a public forum, assumed that he would be fine with comments.....and so I posted one, worded simply and appropriately, but reflecting a view different from his own.  His response?  He called me a "DUMBASS" (yes, in all caps) and invited me to "unfriend" him and take my opinions elsewhere.

I was shocked.  My response to his outburst was as follows: "Feel free to find the unfriend or block button on your own time. I was under the impression that a teacher's job was to teach their students to think for themselves and have their own opinions. I'm sorry it upsets you that I, as your former student, don't agree with you. I won't comment again, and you can block or delete as you choose."  And I left it at that.

However, that doesn't mean I'm not still bothered by it.  I know I should take it with a grain of salt, since it happened after 6p.m., meaning that he'd likely been drinking (having a drink seems to be his top priority at the beginning of every evening).  And, I know that teacher's have as much right as any one else to have their own opinions.  But shouldn't teachers, maybe more so than other people, understand the value in teaching students to have and voice their own opinions, and then later being able to witness their former students doing just that?

Yes, perhaps we do tend to put teachers up on pedestals and put them in places of respect in our minds.  The biggest problem with this is that when they fall off those pedestals and break them, it effects us more than them.

So, what are my opinions on the issue of the proposed mosque?

Well, first off I don't think the building of a mosque or any other religious building should be a political matter at all, regardless of where it's being built.

Second, I don't understand what rational basis there could be for denying this group of people to build their mosque and cultural center.  It's not fair that the entire Muslim faith is being judged on the actions of the radical minority.  YES, for the last time, I'm well aware that the men who flew planes into the WTC were affiliated with a radical Muslim sect.  I get it, I do!  But, they were fed contorted and twisted teachings of Islam, leading them to believe that they "had" to do what they did.  Was it right?  No.  Is there any acceptable excuse for what they did?  Absolutely not.  Do their horrendous actions reflect the views of the Muslim majority?  Nope.

Third, why is it a problem that the President supports the project?  Isn't it the job of the POTUS to support equal freedoms for all Americans, regardless of their income or political affiliation or religion?  You may or may not believe that Obama does this, but I think everyone would say that it is a responsibility of whoever holds the Oval Office.  So, it would stand to reason that the President would support the Muslim people's right to build this religious center.  And, for the record, the President's support really doesn't mean anything.  The only real issue here should be whether or not the building project is permitted under the building codes and the local ordinances of New York City.

Finally, has anyone considered why these followers of Islam want to build so close to the WTC Ground Zero?  Everyone is so quick to assume that the Muslim people are trying to taunt those affected by this awful act of terrorism.  I've seen people call it a "slap in the face to all Americans."  Have we all forgotten that there are many American citizens who practice the Muslim faith?  While the Census Bureau doesn't collect information on the religions of citizens, there are several estimates of the Muslim population in the United States.  While I don't personally know any of the people involved in the 
planning of this Islamic cultural center and mosque. I think maybe, just maybe, they are well aware of the unjustified negative image that so many people have of their faith.  Maybe they are all well aware of the unfair judgments people make about a religion based solely on information they hear spouted from the mouths of Bill O'Reilly and other overly-biased members of the media.  I can see immense logic in building a facility where Muslims could come to worship, and non-Muslims could come to learn about the reality of Islam.  Every religion has its radicals, its extremists.  In any group of people, religious or otherwise, you will find a small minority of people who make the entire group look bad.  So maybe these kind, loving, good members of the Muslim faith know that they are being unfairly persecuted based on misinformation, and have decided that this might be a good way to combat the increasing anti-Muslim propaganda.


All-in-all, I'm left this evening with a feeling of disappointment.  This teacher, who I once thought was so "cool" turns out to be just another guy who's buying into the negative media.  He probably doesn't even know anyone who is Muslim.  Other friends and acquaintances of mine are posting similar statements filled with anger and hate for a group of people about whom they know little or nothing at all.

To my friends who are teachers, please remember that one day your students will grow up.  If you and their other teachers have done your job, those students will grow up and be able to effectively express their own informed opinions.  Some of those opinions will differ from your own, and if you're around to be aware of these differing opinions, please remember that you don't have to agree with them, but you do have to respect their individual beliefs -- beliefs that you taught them to stand up for.

Also, it's not nice to call people "dumb asses."  Name calling is never the mature way to handle anything.

Lastly, I suggest that everyone be aware of who you put up onto those pedestals in your mind.  Give your highest places of respect to the people who will respect you in return.  And, when someone falls off their pedestal and breaks it, try to remember that they are still as they always have been: flawed and human, just like you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!