Friday, October 1, 2010

Political Lambo

So, on my way home from grocery shopping today, I got stopped at a red light beside, and slightly behind, a sleek black Lamborghini.  The person driving it sat at the light, revving the engine repeatedly, obviously trying to attract attention.  It worked.  As I glanced to the side, a lone bumper sticker on the back bumper of the car caught my eye.....and gave me reason to assume the person behind the wheel was a jerk.  I grabbed my cell phone to try and snap a photo, but the light turned green and the Lambo sped away, weaving from lane to lane to get around any vehicle not going at least 10mph over the speed limit.  Although I didn't get the pic, the sighting stuck with me enough to inspire this blog post.

Before I get to the issue of the message on the bumper sticker, let me start with this: What kind of moron puts a cheap vinyl bumper sticker onto the [painted] bumper of a Lamborghini?!?!  Are you kidding me?  I mean, I like bumper stickers, but A: I don't put them onto the painted surfaces of my car, and B: I'm not driving around in a Lamborghini!  Those cars cost a quarter of a million dollars or more!  That's $250,000+!!  My car is worth about......$1500.

Anyhow, I suppose it's not an unreasonable assumption to think that someone who can afford a Lamborghini can probably also afford to replace faded bumper stickers as needed or have a bumper repainted if a sticker removal damages the paint.


So, what did this bumper sticker say?  It said:
We Live Within Our Means
Please Tell The President

Anyone who reads this blog regularly already has a pretty good idea of my general political opinions, so I'll skip the part of the blog where I would normally express my opinion of the President and his policies.

But, what sort of statement does this Lambo driver think he's (she's?) making?

Oh, really, Mr. Lambo-Driver?  You somehow manage to survive on a salary that affords for you to own a car worth more money than I have made over the course of my entire life?!  Well, I'm so glad to know you're scraping by!  So, Mr. Lambo-Driver, have you somehow failed to notice that you do not represent the majority of Americans?  Had you not managed to notice that you car is worth about 166x more than my humble little Nissan sitting here beside you at the stop light, or that your car is worth about 100x more than all those other cars you're speeding around in traffic?  Really, Sir, since my son and I could survive for over 10  years (or more) on the same amount of money you spent on your car, I have to admit that I'm not surprised to hear that you're able to live within your means.  In fact, I'd bet that a minimum of 10-12 people annually could probably live within your means.  And, what exactly is it that you want us to tell the President?  That you are driving around Pensacola in a car that cost at least 62% of his annual salary sporting a bumper sticker being distributed by an affiliate of Bill O'Reilly?  Somehow, I don't think he'll care.

In the meantime, Mr. Lambo-Driver, you keep fighting the good fight, and scraping together a life on your "measly" wealth.  Jerk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!