Monday, October 3, 2011

An Appropriate Little Treasure

Today was a stereotypical Monday.  I woke up early, but couldn't shake off the sleep and get it in gear.  The extra things that needed to be done this morning went undone.  Kaleb woke up groggy too, and lazed his way through breakfast.  He was a sweet little guy all morning, but s-l-o-w.

We finally made it out the door, about 10 minutes later than usual, but luckily I usually have 10 spare minutes after getting to work.  So, today I just wouldn't have that extra time.  On the way to drop Kaleb off at daycare, we got stuck behind one of the slowest drivers in Pensacola and had to make our way around a 3-car accident.

I finally made it to work and signed in exactly on time.  My day was busy busy busy.  On my rushed walk between 2 of my afternoon classes, I came upon -- and nearly missed entirely -- a little "treasure" that made me smile.  And it made me think.

So what was my happy little find?


It was a tiny little pencil, sharpened on both ends.  I'm not even sure how its owner managed to sharpen it to this tiny size.  I suppose maybe a hand-held sharpener might be capable?

This little gem has been used, reused and abused; overworked, underpaid, and burning its candle at both ends.  It's not even 2 inches long, and is barely usable.

But what makes this little pencil so special?  Well, it's special because it has managed to accomplish something that almost no one I know has ever done: This itty-bitty scrap of pencil truly has reached its full potential!  A pencil has made the most of its usefulness, even while most of us will never come anywhere near doing all that we are capable of doing!

Can't help but wonder what the rest of us could do if we tried just a little more.


1 comment:

  1. :) Thanks. A lofty goal. I may end up looking like this pencil when my life is at its end, but I hope to be able to say I tried.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!