Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Darn Good Christian

A co-worker friend of mine said to me today, "You know, you'd make a darn good Christian....Well, you know, if you believed in God and stuff."  I must have had one pretty quizzical look on my face, because he then looked at me and added, "I meant that to be a compliment, just so you know, 'cuz you're always doing nice things for people and stuff."

At first, I thought this entire concept was somewhat silly, since if I remember correctly, belief in the Biblical God is the primary defining quality of a Christian.  And, while the reasons for my non-Christianity are a topic for another post coming in the near future**, I can say for now that I do not identify myself as a Christian—and never have.

What a crazy thing it seems to me that because I make an effort to affect change in the world—on whatever scale I am able—people will assume I must be a Christian.  I know I live in the Southern dip of the Bible Belt, but have people really begun to believe that Christians have a monopoly on doing good?

If this were the first time this has happened to me, I might assume it was just a random occurrence and dismiss it entirely.  But this has happened to me for years now!  When I've done volunteer work, people always ask me what church I'm affiliated with.  When I reply that I'm intentionally not affiliated with any church, they look at me as if that thought is incomprehensible.

Really?!?!

So, let me just set the record straight, in case there are any questions.  I don't need a Bible to tell me that helping people in need, even if I can only do a little, is the right thing to do.  I don't need to be a church member or be church-sponsored to see a need and do what I can to fill that need.

So, to those of you who keep asking, let me put forth the suggestion that your time might be better spent helping the less fortunate rather than concerning yourselves with my chosen beliefs.


======
**Update 3-20-2012: You can now read more at my latest post, "Why I'm Not A Christian."


5 comments:

  1. I think you may be my new favorite person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this might be my new favorite blog comment! Haha!

      Delete
  2. You're delightful. I spend a lot of time reading blogs and you are one of few who has inspired me in many ways. For what it's worth I'm promoting the heck out of you on my various fan pages, personal pages, & Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so incredible of you, honestly. My page views for the day have almost doubled my average.

      I welcome guest bloggers, although I have rarely had anyone take me up on my offer of writing for a new audience. I see that you are author (at least in part) of two different blogs, but if you'd ever be interested in doing a guest spot on my blog, do please let me know!

      Delete
  3. I've been saying the same thing for years! I don't need a church, preacher and certainly not the Bible to tell me right from wrong. I am an intelligent person and I can figure that out for myself and teach my children. The church has abused its power so often, to claim that being a Christian makes a 'good' person is ludicrous. The most prejudiced, unkind, unwelcoming, uptight, unintelligent, cruel and yes! violent people are affiliated with one religion or another. No, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!