Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fidelity

I began writing this post back at the beginning of the week.  Originally, I intended to write my opinions about the ridiculousness of people who try to maintain healthy "open" relationships and the shamefulness of people who are unfaithful to their spouses or partners.  I wrote about half the post, intending to finish writing it, proofread it, and publish it the following evening (Tuesday).  However, by the time Tuesday evening rolled around, I had begun receiving texts and calls about the events surrounding Matt's arrest.  This post got moved to a back burner, as other things were occupying my mind and I wanted to blog about those things instead.

This morning, I decided it would be a good time to finish up this post and get it published to the blog.  However, as I sat down to write, I realized that the word "fidelity" has taken on new meaning in my life over the last few days and has come to represent an entirely different set of values and principles -- principles that, at this time in my life, are more important.



Perhaps it is no coincidence that the definitions for 'fidelity' are listed in this particular order.  It is almost as though the definitions are given in order of their importance.  In fact, it would seem to me that, for a person who believes in and strictly practices the first definition given, the second would become unnecessarily redundant.

That one simple line of text, the first definition, seems to address proper behaviors spanning all aspects of life.

Faithfulness [the quality of being constant and steadfast]
to a person, [a friend, relative, spouse, partner, coworker, or even a complete stranger]
cause, [a principle, aim, or movement that one is prepared to defend or advocate]
or belief, [something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction]
demonstrated by [shown or expressed by one's actions]
continuing [not occasional or temporary, but ongoing and consistent]
loyalty [sentiment and feeling of devotion; strong feeling of support or allegiance]
and support. [comfort and emotional help; approval and encouragement]

Starting today, fidelity is the goal I am setting for myself.  I want fidelity to be the personal quality that defines my words and deeds.  I don't think it will be an easy principle to live daily, but if I am successful, I believe I will be able to live a life that I can be proud for others to witness.  I want my friends and family to come to know that I will be someone they can count on.  I want my coworkers and students to come to know that I will follow through with the things I say I will do or accomplish.  I want to become the kind of person who is willing to stop and help someone in need, whenever I am able, even if the person is a complete stranger.

I want to be true to friendships, even those that may have become strained.
I want to be true to my history, and never forget kindnesses that have been shown me.
I want to be true to my upbringing, and live a life my family can be proud of.
I want to be true to my faith, and live my professed beliefs.
I want to be true to karmic law, and live a life that will bring good back to me.
I want to be true to myself, that I should have nothing in my life to cause me shame.
I want to live a life defined by this one quality: fidelity. 

If you are my friend, I ask you to help hold me accountable to these goals which I am setting for myself.  If you see that I have strayed from a path that will lead me to accomplish my goals, please tell me, that I may be made aware and get back on the right track to the life I want to be living.

If you are not my friend, then please stay out of my way.  I am on my way to a better life, to a better existence, and I have no need for people who want to work against my happiness or my self-imposed values and limitations.  If you cannot, or will not, be my companion on this journey to a guilt-free life, then please just step aside so that I may move on without you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!