Monday, January 2, 2012

[Guest Blogger] Friendship

This post was originally published by a fellow blogger, Sharra, on her own blog on December 6, 2011.  I thought there was a lot of truth to this post, and so I have asked her to repost it hear for my readers as well.
=======================================================================

What a crazy wonderful but sometimes horrible thing friendship can be. I have gone through many friendships in my short 32 years. Some of them were wonderful and still bring a smile to my face, while others leave me still feeling hurt. Through my years I have come up with a few simple rules suggestions truths about friendship. These come from my own experiences and may not all apply to you and your situations friends but I am sure you can still get some thing from them.
  • Friendship should never be unconditionally given. You should always go into a friendship with caution and an open mind.
  • Being a friend means being there when you friend needs you. Even if that means skipping dinner with your family and new boy friend to sit with her in the ER because she thinks she is having a miscarriage. 
  • Who you consider your closest friend should never be based on what they can do for you. I have had friends in my life who seem to be only wrapped up in the friend that can offer them the most. 
  • Make sure someone is really truly your friend before you tell your deepest secrets to them. You don't want to have to be nice to someone just because they have dirt on you and you don't want them being nice to you for the same reason.
  • Friends do not keep track of money spent helping a friend out. They don't bring it up over and over again that they helped you. 
  • Friends do not keep secrets from you, even if the truth will hurt you. If you find out something bad and then find out your friend has know about it for a long period of time chances are they are not your friend.
  • Friends will have stuff in common with you but won't be just like you in every way. If a friend starts copying everything from your life, might I suggest you RUN! 
  • Friends know when you are just venting and when you are wanting to talk.
  • Friends don't don't get angry if you show up at 3am crying your eyes out. They hug you and listen and tell you everything will work out.
  • Friends will not take advantage of you.
  • Friends will do what they promise. 
  • Friends will be there when you need them, even if they live 8,000+ miles away and they should be sleeping.
  • Friends will remember your favorite books.
  • Friends will look at your blog/website/writings over and over again helping make sure you get it perfect.
  • Friends help you clean the walls.
  • Friends will send you roses on your anniversary because they know you didn't get any.
  • Friends will not remind you of all your flaws all the time.
  • Friends don't leave you out of important plans even if they know you won't be able to make it.
  • Friends love you for you, they don't try and change you.
  • Beings someones friend should not feel like work but rather like a vacation.
I am sure there could be list upon list of truths but these are just a few important ones (for me at least). What are some of yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!