Sunday, January 15, 2012

Quest for a New Daycare: First Day Jitters

Tomorrow, Kaleb will attend his first day at his new daycare!  I'm sad to be leaving behind a daycare that we both once loved so much, and the daycare director who we both still love, but the new ownership of that beloved place had made it impossible for me to keep Kaleb there and feel that he is safe and well cared for while I go to work each day.  So, after a tour of daycares with high recommendations from friends and co-workers, Kaleb and I have found a great new place for him to spend his days!

Malena's Mini School, Pine Forest Road, Pensacola, FL
Kaleb and I have spent lots of time over the last couple of days talking about the new school.  We've talked about the ways it will be similar: story times, play times, lunch, nap, snack, and time on the playground.  We've talked about what will be different: new teachers, new friends, new rooms and routines.  We've talked about how Kaleb will have to learn to follow the directions of new teachers and how he will have to adjust to a new schedule.  He seems very excited about starting anew.

I'm excited too, but I can't help but be a little nervous as well.  I don't want the Ghosts of Daycare Past to follow him to this new place.  I'm still carrying the weight of the newer teachers at the old daycare telling me that Kaleb is a bully.....not knowing that Kaleb endured being bitten and hit and kicked almost daily for a couple of years before he ever began to fight back or go on the offensive against those ill-mannered brats in his age-group class.  I'm glad he'll have the chance to start afresh with new teachers and children, and I hope that the added structure of the daily program at this new school will help him to move forward and learn in a safe environment where he will never need to feel like he has to defend himself.

Ready or not, tomorrow begins a new chapter in Kaleb's childhood!

===================================================================

Update, Jan. 20, 2012: We're at the end of Kaleb's first week at the new school, and things are going great!  To read the update on Kaleb's first few days, click here!


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear all about it. I am sure he will do great and that he will love his new school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's going to love it! I've heard WONDERFUL things about Malenas. :) I was actually considering that one when we moved back out here to AL. But, now I don't worry about it cause we have daddy daycare! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and share yours in return. Please remember that comments left of this blog are publicly visible. If you desire a private reply or wish to open a more lengthy dialogue, feel free to send me an email using the link/address in the bottom section of the page. Thanks!